Below is a sample of projects I’ve picked based on their diversity and varied success; my hope is that shows how applied SEO can help almost any brand. Also, I’m not worried if the company’s revenue is £1,000 or $10 million – either way a 100% increase is a doubling of revenue. We all know the power of exponential growth, and my hope is that by pulling the right SEO levers their combined influence allows a company to significantly grow in the numbers that count.
So, what counts? The chief factors are an increase in revenue, a bigger profit margin, and more high-quality organic traffic that converts.
INDUSTRY: FINANCIAL SERVICES
- Brought in 32X more revenue – via lead generation that led to sales – than was invested in SEO & PPC.
- Ranking for 13 terms in “Top 10”, and 9 in “Top 3” – in South Africa.
- Key takeaway: Sometimes all that matters really is revenue, and for this client, they got what they asked for. Some huge leads and new clients that allowed them to expand to another country and grow their business.
Last updated May 2020.
INDUSTRY: ENGINEERING CONSULTING
- Increased lead generation through new, SEO-optimised website.
- PPC campaign spend brought in far more revenue than was spent.
- Over 18 month period, increased organic traffic by 137%.
Last updated May 2020.
What started out as something small and simple, it grew really drastically and is a great example for those SME’s out there.
The goal at the beginning was pretty simple: help with Google Ads and SEO. They weren’t quite sure how so but knew they needed to be done.
I inherited a poorly managed Google Ads account, and within months had brought the monthly adspend down to a fifth of what it was, and yet increased very measurable conversions many times over. (The nice thing with e-commerce and paid orders is that it’s very clear when someone on the site actually converts, or not.)
I helped their organic traffic grow four fold
- I grew their number of clicks from the SERP’s (as recorded by the more accurate Google Search Console) 34-fold.
- I grew their organic conversions 14-fold.
- And total conversions nine-fold.
- These numbers are super impressive, and not likely to be easily matched by most industries.
Last updated December 2020.
- This was a fun little “side project” of sorts. I love a challenge and this was one, as the budget was small but the lay of the land (competitors) pretty easy to navigate.
- I ended up doing three months work on their SEO and achieved “Top 3” rankings for key terms and so project completed in record time.
- A key was focusing on the GMB profile and optimising it; most likely because their competition was all Cape Town-based.
- Simultaneously ran Google Ads until SEO results achieved.
Key takeaway: Use Google Ads for immediate visibility, but don’t rely on it alone. Be willing to persevere with SEO until your organic results deliver free traffic and save yourself money in the long term.
Last updated June 2019.
- Website ranks #1 for seven key industry terms across South Africa.
- Organic conversions make up over 90% of all site conversions.
- PPC spend is down to R25/month due to such great success in on-site SEO, and PPC optimisation.
Last updated January 2021.
INDUSTRY: TRAVEL & TOURISM
- Grew large customer base via newsletter sign ups.
- Improved number of ranking “Top 3 terms” in a highly competitive industry, which resulted in increased traffic from higher search volume.
- All done during both a drought and decline of the South African economy.
Key takeaway: Don’t be focused on one keyword, but rather attempt to rank for a cluster of keywords that relate to a primary keyword, or anchor keyword. You will achieve much more organic traffic this way, and likely actually help your users with more helpful information too.
Last updated January 2020.
INDUSTRY: WEDDINGS & EVENTS
- Perhaps the easiest and best success story was the few hours of work I did for this brand.
- With my help, I outlined the necessary changes they needed to make to rank on the first page, and within 4-8 weeks they managed to rank in the “Top 3” for their main search term, among other related terms.
- It was in part due to the fact that there wasn’t too much competition, but it turned out there were some vital SEO components missing that once sorted out made a huge difference.
- Six months later and they were turning down jobs due to too much demand.
- Key takeaway: Sometimes there are just a few major SEO problems that once resovled can bring a mountain of success. That is why it’s helpful starting any SEO campaign or contract with an SEO audit, and a solid understanding of what the achievables are.
Last updated: January 2021.
- Helped website quadruple their organic traffic.
- Key keywords that needed to rank in the “top 3” went from 3 to 32 in the space of a year.
- Organic conversions make up over 60% of all conversions – ie. “free marketing” for their business in years to come.
- PPC efforts have increased in number of conversions, and improved a lot in terms of CPA (cost per action, ie. a conversion) while maintaining the same Google Ads budget.
- A year in and the client’s words were they were “very happy and have really noticed an improvement in MQL’s (Marketig Qualified Leads) – a sign that the efforts of SEO & PPC are working.
- Key takeaway: Sometimes you need to just stick to to the course and trus the process. SEO takes time, and though Google Ads can be instant or quick – a well-optimised, amazing campaign there will take 3-6 months to achieve if from scratch.
Last updated: April 2021.
“What Mike did for us was far beyond our hopes. We saw fourfold growth in enquiries within weeks because of our new, higher ranking.”
If you would like to see similar results and grow both your visitor numbers and conversions, then please do get in touch.